Many of us have a love-hate relationship with snacks and snacking. After meticulously planning all the major meals of the day, its reaching for the savoury and sweet goods that often, and quite literally, tip the scales. Snacking itself is not the problem, with many swearing by eating small meals at a higher frequency compared to a few large meals.
What to snack on, now that is a different story. Replacing cravings for chips, chocolate, and other munchies with one healthy snack at a time is our goal! This frozen yogurt fitness bar is a must try recipe for those who:
prefer healthy and vegan snacks;
like to grab a bite before workout;
want a quick bite for breakfast.
Other benefits of these homemade fitness bars include its short prep time and the fact that you can save them for days in the freezer. We usually make this no bake yogurt bar recipe over the weekend and later store the ready bars in the freezer. During the week, when we want a snack, we take a fitness bar out of the freezer and allow it to thaw for a while before enjoying it. Feel free to quickly heat up the frozen yogurt bars in the microwave for around 60 seconds.
I personally like these frozen yogurt bars halfway thawed, as the texture of the yogurt allows the bars to be more moist. Not to mention, these fitness bites almost look like a slice of cake, which is another win-win!
Like any recipe, the goodness of the food lies in the ingredients used to make it. These yogurt bars are full of nutritious ingredients, contain no added sugar, and are fully plant based. The recipe is also easy to prepare, full of nutrition, and super tasty. We hope you enjoy this recipe, leave us a comment below or send us a DM on Instagram!
Portions for 24 medium sized fitness bars. Reduce or increase ingredient quantity as necessary.
Rolled oats (4 cups)
Dried dates (2 cups)
Flaxseed (1/2 cups)
Almond flakes (15 g)
Pecan nuts (15 g)
Cinnamon (2 tsp)
Molasses (20 g)
Coconut almond butter (2 cups)
Plain unsweetened yogurt (3 cups)
Frozen berries (2 cups)
1. In a food processor, combine dates, rolled oats, flaxseeds, almond flakes, pecan nuts, cinnamon with the coconut almond butter and molasses. You can also combine these ingredients by hand in a mixing bowl, though more time will be required.
2. Once combined, spread out this mixture in a tray lined with parchment paper. Spread this mixture out evenly and press it down with a fork or spoon to form an even layer.
3. On medium high heat, thaw the frozen berries. Lightly press down the berries while thawing for the berry juice.
4. Spread an even layer of yogurt on top of the previously made base.
5. Spread the thawed berries on top of the yogurt. Swirl the berries with a knife.
6. Place the tray in the freezer and allow the frozen yogurt bars to chill for at least 2 hours.
7. After chilling, cut into bars of desired size. Allow them to thaw for 5-10 minutes and enjoy your health snack!