Moist & Easy Carrot Cake
The holidays are a great time to try a new recipe or two, or even remake a special recipe. And with Easter right around the corner, we whipped up our favourite carrot cake recipe! A carrot cake recipe that's equal parts soft, moist, and heavenly!
What amazes me about carrot cake is how one of my less favourite vegetables, carrot, can be turned into such an appetising dessert! This moist carrot cake recipe is for those who want to make a great dessert but have limited time. This recipe is also parent friendly, as it will not consume your whole day, but the end result is a super hit.
The prep time for this recipe is 30 minutes, followed by a baking time of 1 hour. You can further shorten the prep time by purchasing store bought grated carrots or using a food processor to grate them.
This recipe contains nuts to add a bit of crunch in every bite of cake. And it really does add this extra richness. We added crushed pecans but feel free to experiment with different types of nuts or to leave them out in case of allergy or dislike. Though we doubt this cake will last long in your household, feel free to store it up to four days. Some say the cake tastes even better the day after! Personally, I'm too impatient to wait until the next day and can't wait to dig in the minute it's out of the oven. So, let's get baking!
Vegetable oil (80 ml)
Brown sugar (150 g)
Flour (200 g)
Baking soda (1 tsp)
Baking powder (1 tsp)
Salt (a pinch)
Cinnamon (2 tsp)
Nuts (70 g)
Carrots (2 medium sized)
For cream cheese icing:
Unsalted butter (50 g)
Cream cheese (75 g)
Icing sugar (100 g)
Food colour (optional)
1. In a large mixing bowl, add the vegetable oil and brown sugar. Mix to combine.
2. Add one egg at a time, mixing to combine after each addition.
3. In a separate bowl combine the dry ingredients – flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and a pinch of salt. Mix the ingredients to thoroughly combine.
4. Add the dry ingredients into the mixing bowl along with chopped nuts and shredded carrots.
5. Prep baking tray by greasing it with butter or vegetable oil.
6. Bake at 160°C for 1 hour. At intervals of 30 min and 45 min, check if the cake is ready by inserting a toothpick in the middle and observe if it's ready.
7. After removing the cake from the oven, allow it to cool down. Enjoy as it is or with cream cheese icing!
8. (Additional) Meanwhile, for preparing icing, add room temperature butter and cream cheese in a mixing bowl. Combine the two with a handheld mixer for 3-5 minutes. Gradually add in the icing sugar and continue mixing till thoroughly combined.