Mouth-watering Pecan Pie
Updated: Mar 20
Pecan pie is a recipe we have had our eyes on for some time now. We love pie, so when we added crunchy pecans and syrup to the equation, it was sweet tooth heaven! A slice of this delicious warm pecan pie with a hot cup of tea is exactly what you need for a relaxing evening. For my idea of a perfect winter evening, just add some cosy socks, an interesting book, and a blanket to feel warm and comfy!
Baking has been one of our favourite hobbies this winter season. Firstly, like many of you out there, we end up spending a lot more time indoors compared to the summertime. And with the global pandemic still ongoing and people spending more time at home than ever before, so many of us have turned to the kitchen in the quest for a new hobby.
This pecan pie recipe is made without corn syrup. Instead, we combined dark and light syrup. The outcome was extremely delicious, though the sweetness of the syrup may be a bit too sweet for some. Since we love sweets so much, this was no problem for us. :D
For pie crust:
All-purpose flour (1 ½ cups)
Butter (room temperature, 75g)
Ice cold water (1/4 cup)
Salt (1/2 tsp)
Sugar (1/2 tbsp)
For pie filling:
Chopped pecans (1 ½ cups)
Pecans (1 cup)
Light syrup (1 cup)
Dark syrup (1 cup)
Brown sugar (1 cup)
Cornstarch (3 tsp)
Vanilla extract (1 tsp)
Salt (1/4 tsp)
To prepare the pie crust:
1. Place flour, salt, and sugar in a large mixing bowl.
2. Dice the butter at room temperature into small cubes and add to the mixing bowl. Mix the ingredients.
3. Add 1 tablespoon of ice water at a time and keep mixing. Keep adding water until dough starts forming small clumps. Be sure to not add too much water, as the dough should not be soft.
4. Transfer the dough to a working surface and combine the dough into two balls. Flatten it into a disc. Do not kneed the dough at this point.
5. Chill in refrigerator for at least an hour.
To prepare the pie filling:
1. Whisk the eggs in a large mixing bowl. Add the cornstarch, vanilla extract, melted butter, brown sugar, and salt. Whisk to combine.
2. Add the light and dark syrup to the bowl. Mix well.
3. Chop the pecans and add them to your mixing bowl. Mix until well combined.
4. Sprinkle your work surface lightly with flour and start rolling out the pie crust disc. Roll the disc to be big enough to cover the bottom of your pie plate by making the diameter of the pie base 2-3 inches larger than pie dish diameter. Transfer into pie pan.
5. Add pecan fillings into the pie crust and distribute the filling evenly. Top the pie with extra pecans.
6. Bake the pie in a preheated oven at 175 C for 50- 60 minutes. Allow your pie to cool down for at least half an hour. Enjoy a delicious and warm pecan pie!