Vegan Gingerbread Cookies
Updated: Dec 12, 2020
There is something magical about Christmas and baked goods, and that is why our Christmas baking marathon continues with the all-time favorite – gingerbread cookies. As we inch towards Christmas and the holiday season, we just could not resist making a big batch of cookies for the weekend. Not only is making soft gingerbread cookies a great way to start celebrating the holidays, but it is also a magical way to bond with loved ones.
Whether you are looking for something festive to bake on the weekend, want to gift some homemade baked cookies, or want DIY Christmas home decorations, look no further! These vegan gingerbread cookies got you covered.
This holiday season, we want to discover and share recipes that everyone can enjoy. While cooking or baking for the whole family during the holidays can be challenging, it can get even more complicated if there are special diets to be accommodated. However, this holiday stress can easily be bypassed by having some delicious recipes up your sleeve. In fact, what's better than inclusive recipes without compromising your taste buds one bit?
We were very excited and a little anxious about this recipe, as we have never tried non-vegan gingerbread cookies. Our doubts lingered till the last minute, and only evaporated with the first bite into these crispy, soft gingerbread cookies. Much to our delight, the cookies turned out exceptional and it was hard to tell the difference between vegan and non-vegan gingerbread cookies.
What other vegan desserts are on the top of your list? What other recipes would you like to see on our blog this holiday season? Leave us a comment below or send us a DM on Instagram. Without further delay, let’s get baking!
Vegan butter (180 g)
Maple syrup (100 g)
Brown sugar (2/3 cup)
Molasses (100 g)
Ginger (2 tsp)
Allspice (1/2 tsp)
Ground cloves (1/4 tsp)
Cinnamon (3 ½ tsp)
Baking soda (3/4 tsp)
All-purpose flour (3 cups + few tsp for flouring surface)
Note: We used organic butter as it was easily available for us, some other vegan butters you could use are as follows: Vitalite, Naturli vegan butter.
1. In a saucepan over low-medium heat, place the sugar, molasses, syrup, and butter. Stir to combine the mixture and remove from heat after the ingredients have melted and combined.
2. Add the spices (ginger, cloves, all-spice and cinnamon) along with baking soda. Give the ingredients a mix.
3. Add the flour and mix well to combine the wet ingredients with the flour. In case the flour is too dry, add a small bit of molasses or soy milk.
4. Wrap the dough with clingfilm and refrigerate for 2 hours.
5. On a lightly floured surface, divide the dough and knead them into balls. Roll the dough out according to how thick you want the cookies to be.
6. Cut out shapes with a cookie cutter and use the scrap dough for forming a ball and re-rolling.
7. Place the cookies on a baking tray lined with baking parchment and bake in a 175 C preheated oven for 8-10 minutes.
8. Allow the cookies to cool down for a few minutes. Enjoy them fresh from the oven or decorate them with icing for some extra magic!