Vegan Red Cabbage Soup
During the holiday season, it is quite easy to get carried away by the enormous amount of sweet and savoury treats at your arm’s reach. We, too, have been struggling with the same urge, considering how much we love to bake and treat ourselves with festive holiday baked goods.
While it is normal to slip from the usual routine and self-control during the holiday season, the body still requires nutrient rich food. That is why we are taking a short break from desserts, and switching to today’s nourishing and healthy, vegan red cabbage soup.
This recipe is the perfect combination of fast, nutritious, and tasty. The soup’s beautiful, bold colour is also an added advantage. Also, winter and some warm soup is a match made in heaven, am I right?
This healthy red cabbage soup recipe is a plant-based recipe supplemented with vitamin B12. Vegan diets are often deficient of vitamin B12, since the vitamin is produced by microorganisms from animal products such as milk, eggs, and meat. So, those who swear by a plant-based diet require alternative sources of this vitamin. Some alternative means to secure B12 include consumption of nutritional yeast, fortified foods, and taking a vegan vitamin B12 supplement.
Red cabbage itself happens to be a nutrition dense vegetable with a mixture of vitamins and minerals. The cabbage contains vitamins C and K and is known for being a low-calorie source of dietary fibers and antioxidants. If you had no idea red cabbage could be the main ingredient of a nourishing soup, you are not the only one! And whether you are vegan or not, this red cabbage soup is a warm and delicious bowl of goodness.
Serves 4 portions
Red cabbage (medium/large)
Red onion (1)
Olive oil (1 tsp)
Red apple (1)
Vegetable stock (3 cups)
Soy milk (2 cups)
Balsamic vinegar (2 tbsp)
Dr. Vegan Vitamin B12 (4 capsules)
Garlic powder (1 tsp)
Ginger powder (1 tsp)
Salt and pepper to taste
Garnish: fresh thyme, crème fraiche, spices
Chop the onion, cabbage, and red apple into small or medium sized pieces.
2. In a medium sized saucepan, heat up olive oil before adding the onions and the red cabbage. Allow this to cook for 4-5 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, chop up some fresh thyme. Add the previously sliced red apple and now chopped thyme into the saucepan along with the seasoning and balsamic vinegar. Cook for a few minutes with occasional stirring.
4. Once the cabbage has softened a bit, add the vegetable stock and soy milk. Allow this to cook on medium heat for another 20 minutes.
5. Transfer the mixture into a food processor or blender. Blend until smooth.
6. Transfer the soup back into a saucepan on low heat and add the vitamin B12 pills. Check the soup and add the last seasoning before taking it off heat. Ready to serve, warm and delicious!