Vibrant Spring Salad - a Combination of Tofu and Berries
Are you feeling bored of the usual salad? If so, we can help you! This salad recipe will definitely blow you away with a rich fusion of flavours. With spring bring here and summer approaching, now is a better time than ever to take your salad game to the next level, especially when there is so much more fresh produce available on the market.
We know that the usual everyday salad can get monotonous, that's why this one is packed with delicious and out of the ordinary ingredients. Our version of spring salad consists of ingredients like strawberry, physalis, spring greens mix, pomegranate, pecan nuts, roasted pumpkin seeds and tofu. This vegan salad is one that'll easily make its way into your must-try list, just the way it has made its way into our recipes to repeat list. Here are the ingredients we used for the salad along with its health benefits.
Strawberries: Strawberries are a rich source of vitamin C, making them a great salad ingredient when your immune system needs a boost.
Physalis: Berries are definitely a wealth of nutrients, with physalis being rich in antioxidants, iron, vitamins A and C.
Spring mix: Salad greens are nutrient rich with vitamins, minerals and fibre. They also make up a majority of the volume of the salad, and of course, the fresher greens the better.
Pomegranate: Another nutrient powerhouse fruit, pomegranates are rich in fibre, vitamins, minerals and have shown several medicinal benefits including reducing risk of arthritis, heart disease and more.
Pecan nuts: Pecan nuts are rich in fibre, zinc and copper and add a nice crunch to the salad.
Pumpkin seeds: A great source of protein, unsaturated fats, magnesium and more, pumpkin seeds are known to be beneficial for heart health and manage blood glucose level.
Tofu: Last but not least, tofu is a perfect addition for this salad because it's protein rich with minimal calories.
Note: Leave out pecan nuts in case of nut allergy.
Serves 4 portions
For Tofu marinade
Tofu (250 g)
Nutritional yeast (20 g)
Lime juice (1 tsp)
Olive oil (2 tbsp)
Paprika powder (1 tsp)
Salt (1 tsp)
Sliced strawberries (16)
Spring mix (200 g)
Pecan nuts (30 g)
Pumpkin seeds (20 g)
For salad dressing
Olive oil (2 tbsp)
Salt (1/4 tsp)
Lemon Juice (2 tbsp)
1. Drain the tofu of excess water and continue to dry by lightly pressing with a paper towel.
2. Slice the tofu into medium sized pieces of roughly 2 cm thickness.
3. In a small bowl combine the tofu marinade – nutritional yeast, lime juice, salt, paprika and olive oil. Mix to combine.
4. Coat the tofu on all sides with the marinade. Place on a plate and cover with plastic wrap. Allow the tofu to marinate for 10-30 minutes while preparing the salad.
5. In a medium sized skillet, cook the tofu over medium heat. Cook each side for 3-4 minutes until each side is evenly cooked. Serve warm with the salad.
1. In a large salad bowl combine spring salad mix, sliced strawberries, physalis and pomegranate seeds.
2. In a small saucepan toast the pecan nuts and pumpkin seeds on low heat for 3-5 minutes. Toss them into the salad.
3. For the salad dressing, combine lemon juice, olive oil and salt in a small bowl. Drizzle on top of the salad.
4. Assemble the salad with the salad ingredients, topped with dressing and warm tofu stir fry. Enjoy!